This section of my website provides an overview of my current employment in the journalism industry, as well as my previous work elsewhere:
– Sports Journalist, Sport360.com and Sport360 newspaper in Dubai (September 2015 – present): Online, video, social media and written work covering a host of sports in the UAE for the world’s only daily English language newspaper.
– Sports Journalist, Head of Video and Premier League Reporter at Hayters Teamwork Sports Agency (January 2014 (Freelance from July 2013) – September 2015): I worked as a Sports Video Journalist and reporter covering mainly Premier League football, as well as my other specialist sports, tennis and cricket. I reported at matches on a weekly basis, interviewed and filmed players and managers in pre and post-match press conferences/mixed zones and wrote copy for several newspaper/online outlets. I edited footage and distributed content to our clients quickly and efficiently, and also headed-up Hayters Teamwork’s social, website and YouTube output.
– Sports Journalist, Video Producer and Social Media at the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) (June 2014 – July 2015): Worked with the England Cricket team at home and overseas, as a video and social media journalist, telling the story of the team for various new ECB media platforms. I completed interviews, filmed training and worked with staff, players and coaches.
– Freelance Digital Producer and Social Media Journalist at ITV News (April 2012 – December 2014): Sourced, curated, wrote and edited news and video content on the ITV News website, as well as distributed content through ITV News’ social media networks and worked in the television operations and bulletin editorial teams.
– Freelance Sports Video Editor at the Daily Mail Online (September 2012 – December 2014): Worked in a busy newsroom as part of the sports team, edited and sourced video into packages and online clips for the world’s biggest newspaper website, plus inputted metadata and controlled carousels and video presentation on the home page. In addition, I also completed interviews and worked on various sports shoots.
– Freelance New Media Journalist at The All England Lawn Tennis Club, Wimbledon (March 2013 – August 2013): Supported the Editorial Content Manager at The 2013 Championships, controlled Wimbledon’s YouTube channel and Wimbledon.com video pages, worked on the Official Wimbledon App, as well as social media and interviews. Please visit the Tennis section of my website to view my work.
– Website Editor and Communications Officer for the Everton Former Players’ Foundation (EFPF) (Ongoing): I edit the EFPF website and serve as media officer for the charity, which is run in connection with Everton Football Club. I regularly liaise with former professional footballers and I am actively involved in events and interviews.
– Freelance Reporter/Media Relations for the ATP Champions Tour (November 2011 – November 2012): Conducted interviews, completed voiceovers, edited, filmed and produced daily video reports during the AEGON (2011) and Statoil Masters Tennis (2012) tournaments at the Royal Albert Hall. Roles also included copywriting for the Tour’s website, media liaison and assisting in the syndication of material to various press outlets.
– Broadcast Journalist at ITN Productions (January 2013 – April 2013): Voiced, scripted, edited and produced video news/entertainment packages for clients/ITN’s YouTube channels.
– Video Journalist and Video Editor at ESPN UK (August 2012 – July 2013): Edited live football matches, controlled and updated ESPN UK’s Twitter page throughout each game and uploaded football highlight packages to both the ESPN.co.uk and ESPN FC websites.
– Video Journalist at the Press Association (October 2012 – January 2013): Reported, filmed, edited and produced video news packages with voiceover for Press Association clients.
– Reporter for Podium – The Further and Higher Education Department for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) (October 2011 – October 2012): Working in the build up to and throughout both the Olympic and Paralympic Games on the Olympic Park in Stratford, I covered the story of London 2012 volunteers, Games Makers, students, academics, student athletes and workforce members. Telling the story of the Games from a unique, challenging and different news angle, I produced daily news copy for the Podium website and weekly e-newsletter, conducted audio and video interviews with high profile Games-related personnel for blog pieces, distributed output through social media channels and reported at events including the first ever sports tournament inside the Olympic Stadium. To view my work for Podium, visit the following link: https://stuartapplebyjournalist.com/london2012/.
– Assistant Media Officer at Hampshire County Cricket Club/The Rose Bowl (August 2010 – September 2011): Constructed and distributed releases to local media, advised accredited press, addressed ticketing and marketing offers to the public, updated matchday information line, presented radio commentary, controlled social media feeds, interviewed international cricketers and produced two five minute videos for the inaugural Test Match dinner at the venue. Please visit the Cricket section of my website to view my work.
Industry Work Experience :
– Sky Sports Cricket (September 2011): Joined editorial and commentary team and observed the production process for an international match between England and India.
– Parkinson’s UK (April 2012): Worked within the charity’s press office team and dealt with national and local media enquiries, organised interviews and provided Parkinson’s case studies to the media.
– The Times Newspaper Sports Desk (June 2011): Contributed ideas in morning news meetings, self-sourced quotes for published online articles and transcribed interviews.
– The Cricketer Magazine (April 2011): Assisted the Magazine’s deputy editor and produced both short story and feature led content for publication.
– BBC South Today/BBC Radio Solent (April 2011): Established stories, dealt with viewer/listener correspondence and worked as a runner during live Royal Wedding Outside Broadcast (OB) from Bucklebury.
– Five News (February 2011): Pitched story ideas at morning news meetings, interviewed interviewees for evening news bulletins and constantly liaised with news/production teams.
– Sky News Online (December 2010 – January 2011): Sourced original quotes and wrote stories under pressure, as well as handled hyperlinks, videos and stills.
– ITV News (December 2010): Arranged interviews with politicians for evening news bulletin and attended joint David Cameron and Nick Clegg press conference inside No.10 Downing Street.
– Sky Sports News (August 2010): Dealt with press contacts, contributed to news diary and logged/edited sporting footage.
– The Southern Daily Echo and Hampshire Chronicle (April 2010 – February 2011): Blogged sport, comment and political content for both local newspapers online.
If you wish to receive a copy of my Curriculum Vitae or would like to view my references then please do get in touch, click here.